Intermittent 403 Errors

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:55 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2008 at 9:01 PM
Hi,

I am currently using SmartPart 1.2 and am experiencing intermittent 403 errors. It seems that whenever the App pool is restarted, users that do not have administrator priveledges on the web server receive a 403 FORBIDDEN error to certain pages within my App that use SmartPart. This error does not occur on all of my pages with SmartPart Web Parts, rather only occurs on pages with forms to manipulate data in a SharePoint list. I use RunWithElevatedSecurity (or whatever that function name is) in my BLL code to insert and update this list data, and am running with Full trust. I am pretty sure that the security around this list is also set correctly.

To resolve this error, I have to open the offending pages in design mode (through SharePoint) with my administrator account, then immediately hit "Exit Edit Mode", after which regular users can see these formerly 403'd pages.

Has anyone had this wonderful experience? If so, PLEASE help me out.

Thanks,
Ryan
Aug 7, 2008 at 4:38 PM
Did you resolve this issue? if so How?
Aug 7, 2008 at 6:04 PM
Hi Bob,

We fixed this issue by granting the "MACHINENAME\Users" group "Read & Execute", "List Folder Contents", and "Read" permissions to the /bin and /usercontrols directories.  Probably not the best fix, but it worked.

Alternatively, if you haven't installed .Net 2.0 SP1, then you can download and install the hotfix associated with KB923028.  That fixed our DEV box.  Unfortunately our Test and Prod machines had .Net 2.0 SP1.

Good Luck,
Ryan
Aug 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM
Hi Ryan;

Thanks, got most of those things done, turned out to be AJAXCONTROLTOOLKIT.dll was not registered in the GAC. Once I did that the 403 Forbidden went away. It was in the BIN folder though.