Setup Error "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server"

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:07 AM

dear expert,

i'm installing the smartpart ReturnOfSmartPartv1_3 to my Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium.

while i run the setup, i'm facing this "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server" error.

what should i do to solve this problem....

Please Advice

Thanks in advance

BEY

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I have the same problem. Did you get your answer?

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM

expert:

I have encountered the same problem - "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server". Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks.

C

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:34 PM

This is a security issue. The ID I was using to run the installation did not have the authority to update the SP configuration DB.

C.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM
Coltrane wrote:

This is a security issue. The ID I was using to run the installation did not have the authority to update the SP configuration DB.

C.

Hi,

I also stuck in the same problem. I got the same error due to SPFarm.Local return null reference. Can you please let me know how to resolve this issue? What permissions required for the logged-in user to resolve this one?

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Ani_Michal:

I found that the ID used for the installation must have Site Collection Administrator access. I had one of the DBAs in my company run the set-up with her ID, and everything worked correctly. Please contact me with any questions or comments.

Mark.

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 05:18:46 -0800
Subject: Re: Setup Error "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server" [smartpart:59774]

Coltrane wrote:

C.
Hi,
I also stuck in the same problem. I got the same error due to SPFarm.Local return null reference. Can you please let me know how to resolve this issue? What permissions required for the logged-in user to resolve this one?

Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (smartpart@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email smartpart@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Windows LiveT Hotmail is faster and more secure than ever. Learn more.
Dec 8, 2009 at 3:53 AM
Hi,
I already tried by logging domain administrator account for the installation, but same error occurred. I try to install using setup.bat (generated by VseWss 1.3 during deployment) file, "Access Denied" error occurred. I also found that problem to access sharepoint database from SQL Server Management Studio 2008 Object Explorer. Only "SharePoint_Config_e88536c4-8354-4405-82ed-fc031cef3b1b" database is accessible and all other three database named "SharePoint_AdminContent_c0b966be-3153-4282-8024-5e7513dc4d5a", "WSS_Content" and "WSS_Search_EWP-SERVER4" are not accessible.
Coltrane wrote:
Ani_Michal:

I found that the ID used for the installation must have Site Collection Administrator access. I had one of the DBAs in my company run the set-up with her ID, and everything worked correctly. Please contact me with any questions or comments.

Mark.

Subject: Re: Setup Error "SharePoint was unable to connect to the database server" [smartpart:59774]

Coltrane wrote:

C.
Hi,

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (smartpart@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email smartpart@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

SharePoint_AdminContent_c0b966be-3153-4282-8024-5e7513dc4d5a
Dec 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Ani_Michal:

I suggest that you ask one of the infrastructure (server) folks at your company to run the install script. At my company all the server folks have total OS level access to any server, and I found that level of security allowed the script to execute correctly.

Mark.

Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 20:53:56 -0800

Hi,
I already tried by logging domain administrator account for the installation, but same error occurred. I try to install using setup.bat (generated by VseWss 1.3 during deployment) file, "Access Denied" error occurred. I also found that problem to access sharepoint database from SQL Server Management Studio 2008 Object Explorer. Only "SharePoint_Config_e88536c4-8354-4405-82ed-fc031cef3b1b" database is accessible and all other three database named "SharePoint_AdminContent_c0b966be-3153-4282-8024-5e7513dc4d5a", "WSS_Content" and "WSS_Search_EWP-SERVER4" are not accessible.
Coltrane wrote:
Ani_Michal:

Mark.

Coltrane wrote:

C.
Hi,

SharePoint_AdminContent_c0b966be-3153-4282-8024-5e7513dc4d5a